A survey was commissioned to examine how the traders in the area perceive the economic and retailing environment, the services and facilities in the area, the impact of local initiatives including festivals.
Summary of results
Economic environment and trading conditions
• 41% of respondents indicate that they had a downward trend in business activity in 2011
• 47% have reduced their numbers of staff – more than 50% held their staff levels
• 78% of respondents have been hit by increased costs
• 66% of traders experienced increased rates valuation – more than double the equivalent in Dun Laoghaire
• 44% expect a downward trend in business activity in 2012, and a further 13% expect no change, giving a
total of 57% who expect no improvement.
There can be little doubt that further cessations of trading will happen. There are, however, some traders (19%) who
expect a good outcome for 2012, and this gives some comfort.
Council and Public Services
A perception of failed parking control is the outstanding feature of the survey of public and council services, with
over 94% considering it bad (78%) or fair (16%).
Over 93% considered political representation bad (48%) or fair (45%).